Byron Roe's Homepage

355 W. Hall; Phone (734)764-4441; > byronroe@umich.edu
Last modified: Mon. March 6, 2017

Research interests

My major research interests are in the field of particle physics.

<

I am working on Fermilab experiment, mini-BooNE (Booster Neutrino Experiment) which has measured a number of neutrino cross sections in the energy range below about 2 GeV with about two orders of magnitude more events than any previous experiment. It originally was searching for a small sterile neutrino mass by looking for oscillations of muon neutrinos into electron neutrinos The Los Alamos Neutrino Detector (LSND) reported a possible signal, and our experiment finds a discrepancy for neutrinos and anti-neutrinos at about a 3.5 standard deviation level. I supplied some monitoring counters for the experiment, contributed to the neutrino flux program, wrote one of three event reconstruction programs, and introduced the new technique of boosted decision trees into MiniBooNE (and physics generally). This technique was used as the basis for one of our two oscillation analyses. For the past few years we have been running in a beam dump mode searching for sub-GeV dark matter particles. We are publishing one PRL article based on neutral current-like events which puts further constraints on limits for these particles, and rules out most of the area that might have contributed to the g-2 discrepancy. We are still analyzing the data for two other channels (electron-like and pi0-like) which should be even more sensative. <

Recently, I have been working on some studies for the DUNE experiment. In particular, I have calculated the density of earth as a function of distance of neutrinos from the starting point at Fermilab to the ending point at Sanford Lab, some 1285 km away. I have also examined whether it is necessary to use a variable density program or whether one can use an average density. It appears that for the checks I have made that the average of the variable densities seems to work well. For those who wish to work further, the 12 basic files used for this test (variable density, density = 2.848 gm/cm^3, and density = 2.957 gm/cm^3 for CP conserving and delta = 1.5pi and for nu and nubar can be downloaded below. var refers to variable density, shen refers to the 2.848 density, abd dune to the 2.957 density; mu refers to neutrinos (negatively focussed beam) and mubar refers to anti-neutrinos. Each file has four columns corresponding to energy (GeV), Pr(nu_e), Pr(nu_mu), and Pr(nu_tau). There are 4000 energies chosen with equal logarithmic intervals between 0.05 and 20 GeV. <

In addition, Professor Roe has initiated a project together with several others to investigate the possibility of a new type of particle detector. If this effort is successful, it is expected to have a major impact in several scientific fields.

The next files are the basic files from my DUNE oscillation studies

nu, noCP viol., variable density

nu, noCP viol, 2.848 fixed rho

nu, noCP viol, 2.957 fixed rho

nu, CP viol., variable density

nu,CP viol, 2.848 fixed rho

nu, CP viol, 2.957 fixed rho

nubar, noCP viol., variable density

nubar, noCP viol, 2.848 fixed rho

nubar, noCP viol, 2.957 fixed rho

nubar, CP viol., variable density

nubar,CP viol, 2.848 fixed rho

nubar, CP viol, 2.957 fixed rho

Pedagogy

I have written two graduate textbooks.

Page of gif and other picture files: Gif and other files

Boosting talk 2005

The next file is the gzipped tar file for the C++ version of my boost program. The latest modification is May 8, 2007 and contains important improvements and bug fixes, including an error that prevented softscore from working on data. If you copy this file, please e-mail me at byronroe@umich.edu so that I can notify you of important changes. This is the tar file for the C++ version of m-boost.

The next file is the gzipped tar file for the FORTRAN version of my boost program. The latest modification is May 8, 2007 and fixes a bug in the data_loop_over_trees routine. The February 17, 2007 contains important improvements and bug fixes, including an error that prevented softscore from working on data. If you copy this file, please e-mail me at byronroe@umich.edu so that I can notify you of important changes. This is the tar file for the FORTRAN version of m-boost

This link is for a file of events and background for the Banff meeting (2006). The file is a formatted file. In the first line is the the number of signal events followed by the number of background events. The signal events come first, followed by the background events. Each line, after the first line has the 50 particle ID variables for one event. 50 variable data file